Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Playing With The Slug

I received the NSLU2 yesterday and had a few cycles to play around with it. I flashed it with the latest Unslung firmware. That was pretty easy. I checked out a what packages are available to see what I could put on it. I installed OpenSSH, my public key. I also installed Apache as I'm pondering replacing my public webserver (running on a 466 MHz Celeron) with this. Finally, I did the overclocking mod to boost the Slug's CPU frequency from 133MHz to 266Mhz. Apparently, the unit I got was an older rev. I'm also looking into installing Squid as a proxy, not a cache, since I use my current webserver to proxy web traffic from work inside an SSH tunnel. I'm not sure if this will have the power to proxy better than the Celeron box.

No comments:

Post a Comment