As April ends, I can now assess the results of our first full month of having solar power. Specifically, I was very interested to see if my projections for solar production were even close. If you remember, I wrote this blog entry back in October 2009 as I was trying to determine how big a system to get, what sort of output I could expect and what my savings would be. I created this Google Docs spreadsheet to help with all these calculations.
For the month of April, the spreadsheet predicted for the 3.68kW system we got, production of 513 kWH (this actually comes from the PVWatt tool mentioned in the spreadsheet). It didn't look like we'd get there as the 27th and 28th were overcast and rainy days, but the last 2 days of April turned in the highest production so far. Actual production came in at 538 kWH. Based on this, it looks like the analysis I did in the spreadsheet turned out very accurate and as a result, I'm very pleased with our purchase so far.