Saturday, October 9, 2010

Consolidation and Clean Up

It's been about 10 years since I started using the first beta copies of StarCOM with our home automation system. That was when I learned how to build ASP pages to communicate with StarCOM. About 3 years ago, I started building our floorplan GUI using AJAX and MySQL, which required running Apache web server. So the last few years I've had Apache and IIS running, but this week, I decided it's time to get rid of the ASP stuff. I've been converting 10 years worth of ASP pages (it's not really that much) over to CGIs running on Apache. Last night, I finished converting all the heavily used ASP pages and pulled the plug on IIS. As a result, the server gained about 100-150 MB of free RAM in addition to a little more stability and simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment