Friday, September 21, 2007

More AJAX and all that good stuff

For the past month, I've been working on a UI based on the house floorplan. It's integrating all the stuff I've learned with AJAX, PHP and MySQL to show the state of the house at a glance. I'm using DHTML to create layers of stuff that can be made visible (like lighting control) and then hidden when not needed. That way it's not cluttered all the time. Right now, it reflects the following info: motion in each room and how long it's been since there was motion, temperatures and if they're rising or falling, lighting control and status, which cars are home, if mail was delivered, weather/air quality/uv, audio controls and what's playing in each zone, Google calendar items for today, the lottery ;), surveillance camera popups and the past 6 events recorded, security system status, server cpu & drive temps and a little icon that shows that our craigslist bot found something we're looking for. It's a long list but I still want to add MORE while keeping it nice and neat looking.

I'd like to post a video of it in operation at some point, but I'm very pleased with it so far. I wouldn't mind doing this kind of coding for a job. I'm getting tired of designing chips. This seems like a lot more fun to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment