Sunday, April 26, 2009

Not Much Going On

I haven't been doing a whole lot lately. Part of that is a little HA burnout from my manic March. Part of that is a little disappointment over SageTV and the smushed screen. That's been finally resolved after beta updates of the server and the HD Theater firmware.

I did make the decision to turn off HAL Deluxe. It's always been a resource pig occasionally prone to 100% CPU attacks. The lack of voice mail functionality due to it crapping itself after a Windows update didn't help. And my failed experiment with microphone VR put another nail in the coffin.

Of course, turning off HAL comes with great benefits - lots of free memory and more stability. My two HALi apps also get turned off as well. The extra resources is letting me play with SageTV on my HA server. I moved the 1.5TB disk from the DVR machine to the HA server, migrated my SageTV settings over and have been running for a couple days. It's not a CPU pig but it is as fat as HAL. I've seen it well over 200MB and that has me thinking of bumping the HA server memory from 2GB to 4GB. The DVR machine will probably move over to our other house as the machines there are a little slow.

Finally, I snagged an HP T5700 (256MB RAM & flash) thin client off eBay 60 bucks (less 14% Live cashback and 1% FatCash). I'm going to see if I can use these as little xPL boxes. I want to distribute them around the house where I don't have enough wiring to support all the inputs I want to add to the system. For example, I want to move 3 current switches from DS10a's to a gameport (and add a few more contact closures). I don't have enough wiring there to get those outputs to the wiring closet nor is there enough wiring to put a gameport there using Cat-5 USB extenders. I thought about USB over IP devices but they cost twice as much as a thin client and obviously have much less functionality.

No comments:

Post a Comment