Sunday, November 22, 2009

Back to Juggling Multiple Projects

Earlier this week, I started work on a new xPL app, currently called xPLSys. It monitors disk space, memory and cpu utilization and sends xPL messages containing the data. I'm not exactly sure how I want to package those messages as there really isn't a schema to hold the info I want to send - so either I make up my own schema or send multiple messages - one for each stat being watched. It's been running for a few days now but has been pushed aside for something else.



My Brultech ECM-1240 power monitor arrived Friday, and I started installing it that evening. I finished up most of the wiring Saturday morning and have been deciphering the serial protocol for real-time updates. I've been using our xPLSerial app to interface to it and code up the interactions with the built in scripting engine. I have to say, it's a very cool app and you should download it and donate ;). Despite being distracted by CAL's upset of Stanford (HOORAY), I figured out the serial protocol last night and have now been fine tuning my script. I've been thinking about rolling this into an app, but there is virtually no cpu utilization with the script running in xPLSerial.



I did make a change to xPLSerial to assist with debugging and that change will get pushed out eventually. I'm also considering removing the xPL from the name and calling it something else. It's really a serial port scripting engine with built in xPL functionality, but doesn't require xPL. In the meantime, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the power data I'm getting every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment