Friday, March 5, 2010

New Toy: CAI WebControl and Random Updates

So I finally broke down a bought a WebControl device. It's a network enabled IO device that's been discussed heavily at CT and HS message boards. I got it from this seller on eBay. I'm surprised it actually powers on. It was shipped in a USPS Flat Rate Priority envelope. The device itself was in a small bubble pack pouch - just a single layer of bubble pack to protect the sharp corners of the device's components. The corners of the ethernet jack poked through the bubble pack, puncturing the envelope in several places. For $8.71 in shipping, is it too much to ask for 2 or 3 layers of bubble pack????

Anyway, I powered it on, assigned it a static IP address and new login info, but didn't get much further than that. I hope to test out the digital IO and 1-Wire interface this weekend before I'll believe it's undamaged. I have no idea what I'm going to use it for. I am planning on building an xPL app to interface to it, but I'm not in any big hurry. Still feeling a bit burned out on HA.

It's been 10 days since the solar installation was completed and I haven't heard from the city about inspections nor has the utility swapped out my meter. It was frustrating waiting nearly 4 months from signing the contract to the installation (due to weather & backlog), but this is even more frustrating because I just want to flip the switch!

This week I did update xPLTweet and Jab2Twit to use OAUTH for Twitter authentication. That way there's no stored username & password and has the added benefit of my apps showing up as sources for tweets :)

No comments:

Post a Comment