Tuesday, December 5, 2006

New cellphone & IM control

I just got a Treo 700WX w/ an unlimited high-speed data plan (only $30 for voice & data!) so I've been playing around with that for the past week. I've been looking at ways to allow control of the house through the phone. I'm not keen on opening up holes in my firewall to allow direct access to things, so for now, I'm just using my IM interface.

First thing I needed to do was get an IM client on my Treo that can talk to Yahoo messenger. I found imov messenger , a jabber client. The basic version is free and you can find it at the bottom of the imov page. The only thing I needed to do was to create a jabber account for my normal Yahoo account. I talked about linking jabber to Yahoo here. Once that was set, I installed imov on my phone, set up the login and that was it. I'm now able to control my house over IM from anywhere I have service.

No comments:

Post a Comment