Monday, July 2, 2007

HA Server Rebuild...Again

I had to rebuild my HA server due to a failure in my current server. It took a while to get everything configured, but it's finally up and stable. It's a Core 2 Duo e6420 running on an ECS mobo with 2 GB of ram. I put in an Antec EarthWatts high efficiency power supply. Compared to the Athlon XP 2800+ box, this one runs only about 100 watts (vs 145) and is considerably cooler. The exhaust air is only slightly warm compared to the Athlon's, which was hot.

I've been having problems with the RFID transmitters, which appear to be failing. However, when I send them back, the seller says they work fine. I've tried putting the receiver on the PC serial port, on an Edgport serial to USB adapter and on a Lantronix MSS-100 serial to ethernet adapter. I tried new batteries, relocating the receiver, etc. This happened 3 times, so I've returned them in exchange for some 8M units. Hopefully those will work better.

I've since relocated the receiver closer to where the cars are using the MSS-100 so that should compensate for the transmitters being 8M instead of 40M. We'll see when I get them later this week.

In the meantime, I'm also waiting for a couple Nokia 770 internet tablets that I wooted last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment