Tuesday, July 10, 2007

HAL Pains

My new server has been up & running for a few weeks now and HAL seemed like it was working fine, until I realized it crashes after someone leaves a message. Every other aspect of it works fine - the VR, telephone VR from local and remote phones, the outgoing message & the recording of the message. At some point, after the caller hangs up, HAL hangs itself resulting in this message:

"Program Error

Hal System Serv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created."

I have been directed to this thread as a means to debug my problem. I've tried de-installing and re-installing the HAL modem as written and I've even gone as far as de-installing, blowing away all data files and re-installing HAL. It still crashes.

I'm trying to find out what kind of debug options there are in HAL so I can at least narrow down the problem, but I'm not optimistic. Otherwise I wouldn't have been directed to the above thread...

In any case, the trusty answering machine has been turned on for the first time in over 10 years at least. Before I started putting up with HAL crashes, I was using Fax Talk communicator for PC based voicemail. I never had any problems with it like I do with HAL. Too bad the copy I have is an ancient Win 3.1 app.

No comments:

Post a Comment