Thursday, July 23, 2009

Remote Thin Client

I have been working on thin client #2 which will be deployed at our other home. One thing I wanted to get running on it was bluetooth so it can track our presence with BlueTracker. It was quite a pain to figure out since XP Embedded doesn't really support bluetooth so I had to copy drivers, DLL's, etc over from an XP system. In addition to the BT radio drivers, it also needed drivers for the BT enumerator, BT PAN and BT RFCOMM protocol. Finally, I also needed to copy over the file irprops.cpl, which the 32feet.NET BT library needs. Figuring that out wasn't easy as BlueTracker would fatal with this error:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : BlueTracker.exe P2 : 1.0.0.0 P3 : 4994a8a1
P4 : inthehand.net.personal P5 : 2.3.0.0 P6 : 483fc5c5 P7 : 15d
P8 : 8 P9 : system.dllnotfoundexception

After some Googling, I found this reference that points to an attribute called DllImportAttribute. I opened up InTheHand.Net.Personal.dll in my trusty Emacs editor, searched for that string and found irprops.cpl. Once that was copied over, BlueTracker worked.

Now, I need to come up with a mechanism for getting BlueTracker status across the Internet to our home. Since xPL is UDP, I can't just tunnel it through an SSH connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment